Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dandelions... are weeds?

Who would have thought?  I always thought dandelions were just a fancy green in salads.  Today, the farmer's market that we go to had dandelion greens for sale.  I told Adam that we should get some for salads and that we should also grow them as well in our garden.

Big mistake.

Turns out, Adam thought dandelions were a weed and he started laughing.  Ok. So maybe they aren't on the same level as arugula or romaine, but they are definitely not a weed.... right?

So we skipped the dandelion greens and headed to his parents' house to work in the garden.  There, I decided to tell Adam's dad about the dandelions and about growing them.  If Adam just laughed at my naivete, then his dad almost died from laughing.  Apparently there is a whole industry devoted to killing weeds like dandelions.

Lesson learned.

5 comments:

  1. Can I come help Garden this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the more help the better, especially with weeding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dandelions are a weed, but their leaves can be used in salads! I've had them! They're a bit spicy, so not a fan, but they do exist...

    Ooohh, Perry County...heeheehee! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dandelions! They're very pretty. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miguel - my grandmother always ate dandelion greens from her yard. and i have friends from college who make dandelion wine! my parents, meanwhile, use chemicals to kill them in their yard. quite the yin/yang.

    ReplyDelete