Saturday, June 5, 2010

Damn Groundhogs!

So we have our first loss for the year:  Brussel Spouts!  It took a while to figure out who the culprit was but after some investigating, we've concluded that it was either one or a family of GROUNDHOGS!  At first we thought deer, but we couldn't see any tracks. Next we thought it was rabbits trying to make their way to cabbage patch.  But then we had some confirmed sightings of a family of groundhogs living under an old car on the property. 
Adam's dad came out with his gun one day to try and find these jerks for eating all of brussel sprouts but he couldn't find anything but this trail leading underneath the car.  We wanted to find a way to keep these pests out but unless we fumigated their hole or shot them the only (organic) way of keeping them out would be to keep our dog Jack tied up overnight.  He does love a good hunt and everytime he gets near that car, he goes nuts!  But it is what it is, right! I guess they're part of the natural balance of things.  I wish I knew exactly how pests like that contribute to natural order of an ecosystem.  Aside from Googling the benefits these guys have, I'm going to let go.  I guess I'll have to wait to plant again in July I guess. 




No comments:

Post a Comment